Saturday, June 21, 2008

My real life

Yesterday and today haven't been anything overly special; but that's life, right? I'm a sucker for reality shows or hearing about vacations and such, but reality for me is a lot of the same old, same old. And while I'm a lover of romance and mountaintop experiences, I love my reality (most days). Sure, I'm greatly looking forward to our vacation in September (we haven't been on a real vacation in 5 years), but I'm having a blast this summer just doin' what comes.

I guess it really started Thursday. For the first time in longer than I'd like to admit, I began my day with God. What a difference it made (see that day's post). My sweet husband arrived home with beautiful pink roses for no reason except it had been too long. Then we had an unconventional date on our back porch, feet in the kids' pool, talking about Ephesians and praying together. Friday was a bit more challenging with the kids, but ended with us hanging out with friends at a pool. The girl finally stopped crying/screaming and just clung on for dear life. I think we saw 1-2 smiles from her the whole night. Our little water bug of a son spent most of the time jumping from the tanning shelf into the pool. He even went off the diving board for the first time (if you count stepping off as jumping off) TWICE! I was so proud. I love that he loves the water so much - we think he's going to love the beach. Fortunately the girl loves sandboxes so she'll have something to entertain her. This morning we went to multiple stores trying to figure out exactly what to get the boy for his upcoming birthday and ended up at Chick-Fil-A. We laughed a lot together about a bunch of nothing. We got a long afternoon together since the boy never slept and the girl didn't for long. I love those memories that simply involve beating the floor, rolling around together, and hiding under a sheet. At the last minute, some dear friends called us over for burgers. I love those friendships that don't require preparation. No one got gussied up and we simply enjoyed relaxed fellowship as the meat grilled, the kids (well 2 of the 4) swam, and the other two played. It was a fabulous meal and fabulous fellowship. Now the kids are down, we are winding down, and we get to look forward to worship tomorrow.

Again, nothing extraordinary, but that is our real life. And I love it!

1 comment:

Abby said...

I love your life, too ;)