What an amazing weekend to learn more about my grandmother and her faith, my late grandfather, my father, and other family. She is a kindred spirit, and I am so thankful for these memories. Rarely do I have her all to myself - and for 3 whole days! We laughed, we cried, we sat in awe of God, we worshipped, and we prayed together. We were scarcely quiet - even when reading late at night my grandmother laughs out loud when she gets tickled. My heart overflows with gratitude for those who helped us get away for this rare treat. I didn't think I could love this lady any more, but I was wrong.
Friday morning, I flew to Birmingham where I met my grandmother at the airport. Mom and I hit the road to Charlotte trying to beat the bad weather that was headed our way. Eight hours (filled with stories, laughter, heavy rain and much traffic) later we arrived at our beautiful hotel and crashed.
This is the house Billy grew up in just a few miles from its current location. It has been moved brick by brick and restored. We had the joy of talking with Rose Adams, Mrs. Graham's nurse in her last years (Billy's mother). What a treat to hear directly from the women who was so close to her in those days.
Two things really struck me while I was there:
1. The chain of faith as they called it. The chain starts with a Sunday school teacher who led D.L. Moody to the Lord. D.L. led someone else who did something else and on and on until it mentions Rev. Ham, the evangelist that led the revival when Billy Graham accepted Christ. We never know how our actions affect the Kingdom.
2. The faith and commitment of Morrow Coffey Graham (Billy's mother) and Ruth Bell Graham. These women served their families tirelessly and sought God above all else. What an influence they had on Billy and what crucial roles they played so Billy could do what God called him to do. What a challenge to me as a young wife and mother.
God blessed us in a myriad of ways Saturday. One of the best was getting to meet the director of the library, Wayne. Mom's pastor knows Wayne and told her to ask for him. Being a Saturday he wasn't there, but she left him a note. As we were about to leave the library, a guide caught us and told us Wayne had stopped by. He took a large amount of time from his day to share with us some details we didn't know about the library, the current happenings of the ministry, and Billy's health. He gave us a couple of commemorative magazines and gave my grandmother a wonderful book that chronicles Billy's life and ministry in pictures. We felt God smiling on us all day.
The drive back to Birmingham Sunday was much less eventful, but full of worship as we enjoyed the CD Mom bought at the gift shop. Those old hymns brought back a flood of memories.
It was a weekend that I am still processing - a weekend of rejuvenation and refreshment. A weekend where God spoke.
And Clay and the kids did great just like I knew they would.






No comments:
Post a Comment