Last night the boy's preschool hosted an Open House for family and friends. That afternoon the boy was all excited about going to school and having Pop and Grannylou there as well. The evening started with a short music program followed by the opportunity to visit the classrooms and have refreshments.
(You'll most likely want to double click on some of the pictures to see them well, due to distance they are dark.)

We knew the night wasn't going to go well almost upon entering the sanctuary. The children were to sit with their teachers, and the boy was having none of that. We were sitting nearby so Miss Joanne and Miss Linda let him come sit with us. We kept trying to get him to sit with his friends, but he would only stay as long as I was right beside him. I did get one picture of him with two girls that we also go to church with. Don't they look beautiful? The girl was all about the activity. She paid close attention when the kids started singing.

Can't you tell how excited Clay and Pop are as they wait for the program to begin? What good men they are. When the program began, the boy enjoyed singing along with the older children. Then it came time for him to go on stage. The tears began...and the teachers suggested I sit on the floor near him. Can you see him clinging to me in tears? He didn't want me to go anywhere! (On the video, you can hear him across the sanctuary!)

I was finally able to pry him off and get him to stand near the other children. He cried through most of the song despite my attempts to get him to do the motions I'd seen him do at home. He finally made the horn go beep, beep, beep through his sobs. The only time he smiled was when a little girl ran by. He said he wanted to go race too. After the first song, we stood off to the side to be less of a distraction. He was perfectly content to watch the other kids perform.

He eventually joined in singing and doing the motions. He just isn't one for performing for a crowd (sounds like another male in our home). He was very encouraging, though, cheering and clapping wildly for his friends when they were done.
The whole event provided some laughs, but we'll be surprised if he grows up to be a public speaker or musician.
The rest of the night proved a bit unsettling for him as well. He didn't know what to think about all of us in his class. He pretty much stayed in Clay's arms until he got a cookie and then went to play outside. This morning we were back to the routine he knows there, and all was well. He sure does love that place and his teachers. Every night he thanks God for school and let's Him know that "school is fun!"
(I apologize for typos, blogger won't let me spell check!)
1 comment:
I think I enjoyed Kaci's performance the best ;)
Post a Comment