I have determined this is my son's new nickname. "Why?," you ask. Because this is how he approaches life...he is completely off to an idea, then SWITCH! he is all about the new thing and wants nothing to do with the "old" way. He has always been one to do things in his own time and in his own way (wonder where he gets that from? HA!), and this week proved to be no different.
Several months ago, I began introducing a sippy cup. I thought this would give him a slow transition and maybe ease the pain of saying goodbye to the bottle. He didn't have much to do with it. Sure, he would play with it if he saw it on a table, but he didn't want much to do with drinking out of it. He slowly seemed to come around over a couple of weeks taking an occasional "meal" from it or having some juice during his snack. And then BAM! Sippy cup = BAD. Refusal to eat, pitching of fits, and more ensued. Mama was confused...and then it hit me: two new teeth coming in could mean pain was associated with the sippy cup. So, I waited to try again until the teeth were well established.
Then the process began again...introducing the cup during a meal, offering it instead of a bottle. He was a bit more receptive - probably because he REALLY likes V8 Splash - but formula was another issue. Being the persistent person I am (nice spin on my stubbornness, huh!?!), I kept trying and he began to get the idea. He stopped fighting me as much and eventually began drinking an entire "bottle's" worth without much fuss or mess. So, I got a little brave and decided to try it twice on Thursday. No problem...until his snack before bedtime came. Like a lightswitch, my son no longer wants a bottle...he only wants a sippy cup! Mind you, he still wants to recline a bit and have someone hold the sippy cup for him, but at least we are one step closer to his independence in this area.
He is a little lightswitch, I tell you, a lightswitch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment