I choose...DEAL!!! I love a good deal. Clay and I were talking about this last night...I wasn't always this way. See, I grew up in a "keep up with the Joneses" town and can now see how I was convinced that GAP was the only brand to buy and I never really wanted much that was last season. Don't get me wrong - I had plenty that was last season since my folks didn't pander to my every whim, but there was definite lusting and coveting happening over friends clothes, cars, and the like. The longer I am away from said town, the less I care about brand name or status or whatever. Again, don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the purchase of our new Honda Accord in 2000 and our new Honda Pilot a year ago...and I love new things...but now, I get more of a rush out of getting a good deal than getting the latest fad. Clay says I sometimes get more excited about the mid-week circulars than him! (Now, I will disagree unless I find out it is double coupon weekend up to $2.00 at Albertsons...you can't blame me, can you?)
Clay says I have gotten more obsessed with a good deal after working with our pastor for a year. Randal can squeeze change out of a penny...and expects everyone else around him to seek to accomplish the same thing. I admire that he wants to be a wise steward, but it was really hard at first to make sure I found the best deal and used all our coupons, etc. when purchasing new things for the church. Even after being away from that work environment for almost a year now, I am still infected. I'm all about using coupons and going to 3 different stores so I get the best deal on various products even if all can be bought at one store. I wasn't always this way, but I have been bitten by the bug. However, I won't get the Sunday coupons because the paper costs too much! (I know, I'm a bit crazy.)
Anyway, it has been a good day...because I got some great deals and it has been quite a rush. Already this week I got fresh chicken on sale for $1.69/lb (how sad that I know that is a good deal). Babies R Us had Koala Kids separates on sale 2 for $8.00 plus I had a $5 off any purchase of $25 or more. So...I got four pair of shorts, 4 tops, and 3 socks for like $32...I am not positive the exact amount because I still had money on gift cards from returned items - so only $12.08 of our money was spent!!!! Then I headed to Target...thanks to my friend Kristina I learned they had some toys on sale. So I bought the boys (Jonathan and his cousin) the same toy (can't say in case Kristi reads this...don't want to spoil part of a birthday surprise) for $5.99 each. Then they had some realistic keys for $5.99 as well...and I just couldn't pass them up - Jonathan was so enthralled at the store. I figured I could "splurge" on such an item. I bought a couple of other things too; and thanks to a gift card, I only spent $17.41! I could hardly contain myself! Then on to Sams...now, many of you may think I am nuts to take my son to a third store in the middle of the afternoon, but he was being a peach...I think he caught on to my excitement and he never shys away from the myriad of complements and attention he seems to draw...now, back to Sam's. I got 54 oz of powdered formula for $20...that is an estimated 380 oz. of milk for $20!!! That is amazing...I also got a case of water (32 - 16.5 oz. bottles) for $4.12 for our retreat this weekend...YEAH!!!! I bought a couple of other items which also save us money and headed home.
YEAH!!! Saving money...and on top of it all, this morning I switched our phone company so that we will now have local service and DSL for the same price we have been paying for local service and dial-up...and I will get a $50 VISA gift card in 3 months...so now I won't be tying up our phone line when I am online and we have some play money...how exciting!!!
It has been a good day...I love saving money. I love seeing the fruits of my work to save money. I love seeing Clay's face when he realizes that I am trying my best to do my part to be a wise steward of the money he works so hard for. And I loved hearing Clay tell me last night that he completely trusts me with our money and doesn't fret when I go to Garden Ridge (or some other store) and spend a little (or sometimes a lot) because he knows it is a good deal and I will more often talk myself out of something than rationalize purchasing it.
I know, I am a bit crazy...but I have come to love the thrift store and Ross and coupons and our Discover card...for every dollar I spend, I make money... so, I was excited and I just thought I would share...and Saturday I will head to Mardel's where all Kids books and Bibles are 50% off along with other things...and I have a gift card!!!






1 comment:
You are not crazy for getting excited about saving money. David and I took the Dave Ramsey class several years ago and it changed our life. We feel such satisfaction in the fact that our past 3 vehicles were paid for in cash. The car dealer's jaw just hits the floor when you tell him you don't need financing. LOVE IT!
I've enjoyed reading your blogs and will continue to comment! :)
Post a Comment