Are there times you are in the midst of doing something you stop to ask yourself, "Why? Why did I do this to myself?" I had one of those experiences this morning. I knew it was risky to take both kids by myself to get the boy a haircut, but I was so set on getting it cut that the risk seemed worth the end result. We've been letting the boy's hair grow to show off his curls; and just a little over a week ago, it was AWESOME. (His dad is majorly jealous!) It seemed like overnight that the curls disappeared under the weight of his growing hair so we discussed getting a little trim. Like with my own hair, I got a bee in my bonnet about the haircut and I could hardly wait another day. We had a commitment this morning that finished earlier than expected so I loaded them up and headed off to Cool Cuts. I was floored when I opened the door and the place was EMPTY. The boy headed straight to the train track while I signed us in. It took some coaxing to get him to the seat (a fun yellow taxi) and the tears started immediately. Mind you, it's been 4 months since we last entered this establishment - 4 MONTHS! I sat the girl on the floor nearby because I knew my assistance would be needed. We were the only ones in the store, but it was so loud as the girl screamed in sympathy right along with her brother who acted like we were torturing him. Elmo nor the taxi were good enough to pacify. The girl was very kind and I opted against the edger (previous experience proved those to be the worst part of it all). The other worker came in from her break and held the gal while we finished up. I was thankful no one else came in while we were there. It was only 10 minutes, but it sure felt like an hour! It took him a few moments and going back to the train to calm down, but the screaming started again when I told him we had to leave. I pulled a few of my tricks out of my sleeve and he was fine by the time they were buckled in the car. I said it last time, but I really mean it this time: I WILL NOT DO THAT ALONE AGAIN. (If you don't recall my first experience at Cool Cuts alone with both kids, click here to read the story.)
Then as if I hadn't had enough fun, I went to Mardel to buy a nativity set (see below) and a few stocking stuffers...and they have a Thomas train for kids to play with. It was a great distraction while I was shopping, but he let the whole store know how mean he thought I was for making him leave. I can only imagine what others were thinking as he screamed his way to the checkout and all the way out to the car. Thank heavens for our Hermie CD or the ride home might have been another adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment