Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A snowy, snotty day

You gotta love weathermen...as our pastor put it Sunday, it is one of just a few jobs that you can be wrong 50% of the time and still keep your job! They predicted a massive ice event this weekend that did slam north of us, but wasn't quite the catastrophe they forcasted for the metroplex - especially our area of it. Then they began talking about the next system that would head south of us providing possibly a few flurries, but no accumulation. Once again, WRONG!

Jbird woke up about 4:15 this morning unable to breathe (thus, the snotty part of our day) and as I sleepily headed to his room, I noticed the deck was shining in the moonlight. "Hmm," I thought, "the deck pretty much dried out yesterday so I didn't think there was much to refreeze." Then I passed by our front door which has a window...and I saw the blanket of snow. I tended to our son and headed back to bed, but the falling snow caught my eye. I took a closer look and realized that this was much more of an event than the weathermen thought. Clay stirred when I got back in bed, and I told him we had some snow (we don't see it much here). We laughed about how this was more of an event than the weekend...and then fell back asleep.

He got up a bit later to work out only to wait at the YMCA for 10-15 minutes before realizing they weren't going to open. He headed into work and realized that this was going to get nasty fast...cars heating up the roads melt the snow (which even TX drivers can drive on), but the fact that it remains below freezing means the water quickly turns to ice... schools are closed, Clay's office is sparse, and the main stations are reporting non-stop.

Our day isn't much different except that Clay is heading home early...so I'll have an extra set of hands to catch the faucet of snot flowing from our son, extra eyes so I can finish getting stuff ready for Elizabeth, and maybe even get to rest a bit myself to ward off my cold getting any worse than it is!

Hope you are staying warm where you are!

No comments: