Thursday, August 17, 2006

Stopped in my tracks

I was simply making tea this morning when I was stopped in my tracks as the image of my late grandmother's face flashed in my head. What brought her to mind during such a normal task? Usually I see her in my mother (and soon enough I will see her when I look in the mirror), but this morning I realized it was my own action that brought her to mind.

Somewhere along the line I picked up her habit of biting the inside of my lip...now this isn't a normal biting of the lip. See, she would scrunch her mouth to one side to bite the inside corner of her mouth...and my mouth was as far to the right as I could possibly get it this morning.

I immediately smiled when I realized what I was doing...and then a few of the many other things she taught me (good and bad) rushed my mind:

- her amazing love of roses (I, unfortunately, have a brown thumb)
- her fear of tornados (her stories scared me silly!)
- her love of books and writing
- her ability to throw a pity party
- her ability to laugh at herself
- her love of studying God's Word

One of the most precious things she gave me came just days after her death almost 3 years ago. (For those who know the road I have walked over the last years, you will understand why this is the best gift Mama Cleo could have ever given me.) My mother asked if I would like to speak at the graveside service and gave me Mama Cleo's worn Bible to sift through the night before for more insight into this little lady. Her Bible was full of notes and thoughts, the pages well worn and tear stained. Her love for God and His Word screamed from those pages. One of the pages at the back contained only a one sentence prayer in her messy handwriting. Her words lept off the page and into my heart...and I have treasured them since that day. I summed up what she taught me by sharing these words the next day:

"What a mess I would be in if You gave me everything I asked for."

No comments: